This is my first ever Linky Party blog posting!
AND it’s all about one of my favorite areas of Speech-Language Pathology –В
So without further ado…ahem…
“These are a few of my fluency things…”
1. Focus on Fluency by Kristin Chemela at SuperDuperInc.
If you’re new to the SLP world and are looking to make an investment I’d suggest the Focus on Fluency kit. You can find it at SuperDuperInc.com
The kit has everything you’ll need to begin a fluency treatment program with elementary and middle school students. The website says grades 2-8, but I’ve adapted it and used it successfully with younger students as well.
- The high quality materials are all there, nicely laminated and contained in the box
(which has pull out drawers!).В
- The instruction book is easy to implement and comes with a CD for easy reproduction.В
- The icons are simple and easy for the students to remember.
- The cost of the kit is a large factor, especially for those of us with small (or even non-existent) materials budgets, but that is why it’s an investment.
2. Easy Does It for Fluency (Preschool/Primary and Intermediate) by Barbara Roseman and Karin Johnson at Linguisystems
The Intermediate level is designed for grades 1-7, so this edition will cover a wide range of students on your caseload. В That’s always nice, especially with fluency materials since you never know when a student will appear with fluency needs. This one book could give you everything you need to target all your students’ fluency goals from analyzing their speech to desensitizing all the way up to maintaining.
- Both sets come with very informational manuals and materials books.
- The materials books include a CD for easy reproduction.В
- Two levels are appropriate for target audiences.
- There aren’t many hands on, ready to go activities with these. They will require a bit of prep time on your part, but overall the efforts will be well worth the energy.В
3. Fluency Scenes (Elementary and Adolescent) from Linguisystems
These are card sets with colorful and detailed pictures on one side and prompts on the other side. The two levels present age-appropriate social situations which I find incredibly helpful with my older students who are “too cool for school” – you know the ones I mean!
- Cards are laminated and durable.В
- Cards are grouped together to target stages of fluency therapy from establishing fluency to transfer and maintenance.В
- The cards are really all you’d need to complete a whole fluency session which is a nice bonus for those of us who travel.
- The pictures scenes could be used in mixed groups to target language goals (WH questions, problem solving, inferencing/predicting) and articulation as well.В
- The cards come in a nice vinyl folder, but I’d prefer a box for storage.
***THIS JUST IN***В
4. “Speech Guy” at TheraSimplicity
|Isn’t he cute?!|